Studies and disability: what support is available?

Since early childhood, people with disabilities have benefited from financial and social support. Ranging from the disabled child's education allowance to social assistance for accommodation to enable their inclusion and integration in the field of study and later in the professional world.

What is the education allowance for disabled children?

The allowance for the education of a disabled child is an aid for parents who are coping with the disability of their children. It is a financial support to facilitate and alleviate the parents on the education and medical care costs of the disabled child. This aid for education and disability is paid by the Caisse d'allocations familiales or the Mutualité Sociale Agricole to the parents or persons in charge of the child. In order to benefit from it, documents and forms must be sent to the Maison Départementale des Personnes Handicapées. Certain documents must be enclosed with the application, including a medical certificate and proof of identity. The amount of this aid is approximately 131 euros and supplements may be paid under certain conditions.

Aid for students

To enable young disabled people to continue their studies at the universities or colleges of their choice, grants for studies and disability have been introduced. Moreover, the Accessibility and Disability Act of 11 February 2005 requires establishments to improve accessibility and make it easier for students with disabilities to attend. These students must also take the same steps as able-bodied students, but at the same time prepare the documents relating to their needs. To do this, contact the Maison Départementale des Personnes Handicapées to validate your situation. In order for everything to be adapted to your needs, you must present yourself to a doctor from the Commission des droits et de l'autonomie des personnes handicapées and the school doctor. As far as financial aid is concerned, you can apply for a grant and benefit from the Prestation de Compensation du Handicap, which covers expenses related to your disability.

Transport for disabled students

Depending on the disability, sometimes the student needs specific transport, the cost of which may be covered. These disability study aids vary according to the region and the institution. You must apply to the Maison Départementale des Personnes Handicapées. Depending on your region, you may be able to benefit from specific aid in addition to your application for grants and other financial aid. Students with a disability can enjoy an active and independent life thanks to this support. This is because they pay for much of the equipment and care that every student needs. And the facilities at schools and on public transport allow disabled students to be almost like other students. Having a life like any other for students and pupils with disabilities is sometimes difficult. But thanks to study and disability support, they can enjoy an education and a school career like everyone else. Financial aid, grants and allowances are available to parents and students to help them study and ensure a better future.
Student accommodation: what if you tried sharing?
How to better live a confinement in a student room?

Plan du site